After calculating cabling costs, you had done it right and decided to buy solar powered garden lights. Then, for a reason, your solar system stopped working. Or maybe, the weather conditions might have gone worse, solar receivers might have stopped. Maybe, you decided to behave even precautious for an important upcoming event in your backyard. Or, something I couldn’t guess happened, and here you are. Are you looking for an upgrade?
In most cases, you can use extra batteries for currently solar powered garden lights. Indeed, it’s generally better than replacing a broken solar supply.
We brought to best batteries together below. Check these batteries first. However, if you still feel like replacing them with higher quality solar systems, visit our special topic about them. There are solar powered string lights and pathway lights, and you’ll find even more if you browse around.
Top Seller Batteries
Tenergy AA Rechargeable NiCD Battery
- One of the best sellers in the category and customers are extremely satisfied with the product.
- The capacity is 1000 mAh which is really great compared to other products. Most of the batteries have 600 mAh or 800 mAh capacity.
- The 24 pack has a great price rate. If you are looking to save some money you should get that one!
- It can also be used as a rechargeable household battery which is pretty cool.
- You need to charge them a few times to get their power range. Some customers don’t know how to use batteries and they have made some bad reviews. Make sure you read all of the reviews and pick accordingly.
- This one is a great medium end product you get what you pay for.
Mr.Batt NiCD AA Rechargeable Batteries
- It can be used with garden landscape lights and path lights.
- Suitable for any device uses 1.5 or 1.2v alkaline batteries. You can use it for household needs.
- It has 1000 mAh capacity which is great for long using time. You have to charge them a couple of times to get the full effect.
- It works extremely well in high temperatures. I definitely suggest these ones if you are living in a hot area.
- Most of the customers are satisfied with the batteries because they last all night long. Some 600 or 800mAh batteries don’t provide for enough time.
Moonrays 97125 Rechargeable NiCd AA Batteries
- Suitable for devices which uses 1.2 or 1.5v.
- You are going to cut up some energy bills with this one.
- Battery capacity is 600 mAh which is lower than average. If you are looking for something which can work longer than other batteries you should buy something else.
- It’s not affected by low temperatures and it can work all the time.
- The product is really great for the price and it can hold a charge long enough.
RELIGHTABLE AA NiCd 600mAh 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries
- The price is really great for 600 mAh batteries. The set has 20 pieces which is a bargain.
- The lifetime is around 1000 charges.
- Some customers reported they are not charging under full sun so keep this in your mind.
- They are great for 2-3 months of usage after that you need to replace them.
- If you are looking for cheap rechargeable batteries these might be cool.
Westinghouse AA Solar Batteries
- These batteries are definitely high-quality because they are designed to hold charge up to 5 years.
- It has 800 mAh which is average for batteries.
- The product can be used with RC cars, digital cameras or computer parts.
- It can charge up to 2000 times with ease.
- I suggest these batteries for people who are looking to get high-quality batteries.
BRIGHT ZEAL Pack Of 4 AA High Capacity Battery
- This one is great if you have bright zeal solar lights. It can also used for other solar lights out there.
- It has 600 mAh capacity.
- The batteries are suitable for high temperature usage.
- You can use it for variety of devices including computer parts, clocks and toys.
- If you are looking for replacement batteries these are great.
- I suggest these batteries for people who are looking for high-quality replacements.
Using Regular Batteries or Rechargeable Batteries Besides Solar Lights
Sometimes, solar power systems produce less than you expected or particularly required. Actually, you can solve this problem. Even more, if there are no problems, applying what I say might upgrade your system.
First, find out about the type used in your system. Is that NiMH or NiCd? Then, you can decide to buy one of the products above. Replacing them is not hard. Actually, NiMH or NiCd are interchangeable. You can go for NiMH to provide an upgrade. If you keep reading, you’ll find better reasons why.
If you can set a genius system to switch recharge and use, go for rechargeable batteries although they’ll be triple expensive. Forget about regular non-rechargeable batteries unless you have a very specific situation forcing you to use those.
I used to use the batteries you see in the picture above because my electrician brother suggested. If you look carefully, you can see that these are NiMH 2700 and 2600 batteries.
NiMH versus NiCd Rechargeable Batteries
Even though the capacity, non-rechargeable Alkaline batteries cannot compete with NiMh or NiCd on solar battery subject. Alkaline batteries are dangerous for solar-powered lights. More importantly, they might cause some irreversible damage to your system. The capacity chart above should be taken seriously if the lifetime of the whole system is really important to you. Capacity makes a little difference (just a couple of minutes) in a day but it adds months to a lifetime.
Now that the best possible choices are rechargeable batteries, you’ll choose NiMH or NiCd. Of course, you can use both of them in solar lights. Visibly, Rechargeable NiMH is the best choice. Even more, it costs very similar and it’s more environment-friendly.
It’s a very important decision to make. With everything in mind, you should really choose NiMH or NiCd. My suggestions above are already top sellers. These are by far the best batteries for solar lights. I hope you enjoyed reading as I enjoyed writing. I tried to simplify the facts as much as possible.